Monday 30 November 2015

Planning the Assessment/Proposal

Now that I have completely decided on my personality to study, Emmeline Pankhurst, my next task is to put together a sophisticated reading/source list for research purposes. So far I have:


1. The most important- 'My Own Story', a biography written by Emmeline Pankhurst herself, published in 1914.
2. 'Emmeline Pankhurst, a biography', written by J. Purvis and published in 2002.
3. A movie which I am very excited about! It's called 'Suffragette' , directed by S. Gavron, and comes out later this month.
4. I also noticed that my, 'Turning Points, Modern History Depth Studies Textbook', has a whole chapter devoted to the suffragette movement, featuring Emmeline Pankhurst so that will be good to look at also.

I also have a few websites and journal snippets which I will add to my final bibliography.

This week has got me thinking about how I will approach the assessment as I am completing the proposal aspect. I am thinking that I will stick with the set essay question as it is fitting for my personality- positive impact: women's rights. Although I'm open to flexibility if I want to incorporate other aspects of Pankhurst's life into my essay.

I've been coming up with a few minor questions as well to get me thinking:
  • What was the context of her time?
  • What prompted her to become a suffragette?
  • Why couldn't women vote in the first place? Female voting rights is something I've grown up with so it's normal to me
  • Were there any negative impacts?
  • Why was she so militant? did it borderline terrorism? How did she justify her actions?
  • How did it compare with other radical movements of the time?
And the list goes on...

I'm getting excited to learn more about her and hope to have some things I've learned to share next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment